Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Thrift Store Books

Okay, so this is one of my silly quirks, I love buying books at thrift stores.


Okay, so that's not the quirk. I not only love buying books there because I have found some killer deals, but the quirkiness comes because I love finding books with inscriptions in them!


I don't buy books strictly based on whether they have an inscription or not, but I have read a lot of sweet sentiments, and have even found a picture, and even a little slip of paper with a really cool quote from a General Conference talk given by Elder Glenn L. Pace of the Seventy, in some of the books I have bought.


The sentiments are rarely anything profound or incredible. Really, they just bring a smile to my face simply because they were written out of love, admiration, respect, and a number of other wonderful feelings, and it makes me happy to see those positive messages, that may have been a bright spot in someone's life.


That slip of paper I mentioned was in a book that I found tonight, "Best-Loved Poems of the LDS People", and I have to say, it was a message I needed to hear! Here is the quote, with some emphasis added to parts that were especially meaningful to me:




"In spite of our obedience, trials and tribulations will come our way. Disasters and tribulation are not always for the punishment of the wicked, but often for the sanctification of the righteous. We admire the early members of the Church for their faithfulness through their numerous trials. It is interesting to contemplate whether they succeeded in facing their obstacles because of their spirituality or whether they were spiritual because of the obstacles they faced.

Into each of our lives come golden moments of adversity. This painful friend breaks our hearts, drops us to our knees, and makes us realize we are nothing without our Lord and Savior. This friend makes us plead all the night long for reassurance and into the next day and sometimes for weeks and months. But, ultimately, just as surely as the day follows the night, as we remain true and faithful, this strange friend, adversity, leads us straight into the outstretched arms of the Savior."

What a beautiful reminder of the important role adversity plays in bringing us nearer to our Savior. And believe me, I can testify to the truth of these remarks made by Elder Pace those 18 years ago, as I have felt the love of the Savior about me during this difficult time in my life. I am blessed to have the hand of my Heavenly Father in my life. I can never feel alone, especially when the right message comes with perfect timing.

My love to each of you that may read this.
H.M.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your insight Heidi, we missed you at book club the other night. I am glad that you have been able to be so centered through this. You are an example of faith to me. You are awesome! Janae Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janae! It's nice to know I have readers on here. :) I appreciate the kind words.
    I wish I could get to book club one of these months! It's just hard for me to find a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete